I’ve been writing about relationships between Asian women and white men for many years. Interestingly enough, one of the most common questions that I have been getting more recently is this: Do Chinese women like American men?
Yes. Chinese women do like American men. As a matter of fact, of all the eastern Asian cultures, China is arguably the most similar to American culture. Chinese women tend to like American men who are bold, brave, and not afraid to speak their mind.
It’s an interesting topic, and something I have a lot of personal experience with.
There are many reasons why Chinese women like American men
Interracial relationships between women in China and men in America have been a “thing” for a very long time. However, it’s been much easier over the past 20 years or so with the advent of online dating (thanks eHarmony!), and it’s only going to become more common as time goes on.
Chinese women really do like American men. I’ve had several close friendships (and relationships) with women from China in the past, and all of them told me that men from the United States were generally very desirable to Chinese females.
Chinese women like American men because:
- They find them more physically attractive than Chinese men (of course I’m speaking in generalities here – I’m just saying that, on average, Chinese women tend to be more attracted to Caucasian males than women from other Asian cultures are).
- Western television and movies have led them to believe that American men are more kind and polite than Chinese men.
- They are fascinated with American culture. Personally, I find this to be not as true today as it was 20 years ago, but many Chinese women grew up idolizing western media and celebrities.
- American men seem just as ambitious as they are. The hustle culture in both China and the United States is very strong, and many women in China are attracted to American men who are focused on their career (and the financial success that comes with it).
Chinese women like American men who are:
1. Bold and assertive
Chinese people tend to be bold and assertive as a whole, so it seems natural that women seek those same qualities in their relationships with men.
2. Good looking
Compared to women from other Asian cultures such as Vietnam, the Philippines, and Japan, Chinese women tend to be more vain and overly-focused on outward appearances. I don’t mean that in a bad way, but that’s just the way Chinese culture has been evolving over the past 20 years or so. You’ll have better luck dating in China the better looking you are.
If you’re curious, be sure to read my summary of all the differences between Japanese vs Chinese women – it’ll help you make better sense of this.
No, you don’t need to have an obscene amount of money or anything, but Chinese women like American men who have a thriving career with great prospects for the future. This is likely due to the fact that China has experienced an explosion of their middle class over the past 20 years, and wealth is becoming seen as a status symbol.
Family life is a big deal in China. Families stick together for a lifetime, and it often ends up being that the children take care of their elder parents. When you are dating Chinese women, they will be assessing your ability to help them take care of thier parents (both physically and financially).
5. Famous (even just a little bit)
Western media is huge in China – despite much of it being blocked and or censored by the government. Even minor celebrities here in the United States tend to be mega celebrities over in China. This is something you can see happening on Instagram and TikTok, I can’t help but laugh when I see Chinese women go bananas over American D-list celebrities.
Anyone who has been to China recently has probably noticed that fashion and style is becoming a core part of the culture. Chinese women are bombarded with advertisements for make up and clothes, and in my experience traveling all throughout China, I tend to believe that those advertisements are working.
- Shanghai women are some of the best-dressed that I’ve ever seen (anywhere in the world).
- Guangzhou girls are slightly more casual, but still very fashion-focused.
- Hong Kong girls are somewhere in the middle – not as fashion-centric as the women in Shanghai are, but notably more into high-end fashion brands than the women in Guangzhou are.
Chinese women tend to be some of the best dressed on the planet, so it should be no surprise that many of them expect their boyfriends and husbands to be as well.
Chinese women do not like American men who are:
1. Timid and not sure of themselves
Thinking back to my days of online dating (long before I got married), it was always the Chinese woman who dumped me the fastest once they realized I was shy and introverted. Of course, there are many Chinese women are into shy guys, but all I’m saying is that (as a whole), Chinese girls tend to prefer boys who aren’t timid.
2. Lazy and unmotivated
The economic boom in China over the past several decades has been driven by individuals seeking to get ahead. in general, Chinese women tend not to be attracted to American guys who have no desire to succeed.
3. Extremely overweight and out of shape
As I mentioned earlier, Chinese women tend to be slightly more superficial than women from other Asian cultures. When it comes to dating, overweight and out of shape men from the US don’t do well in China. This is most likely due to the fact that Chinese women prefer guys they would be proud to be seen with. Sorry, but them’s the facts.
4. Anti-Chinese government
Yes, there are many people in China who oppose the current politics in Beijing – but that doesn’t mean that they won’t be offended and turned off by westerners voice the same opinions. Basically, Chinese women don’t appreciate American men talking negatively about their homeland.
Where is the best place for American men to meet Chinese women?
Obviously, going to China is the best way for an American man to meet Chinese women. However, for those who are stuck in the US, there are some pretty good options:
- Start eating at all the local Chinese restaurants in your area. I know this sounds stupid (and over-simplistic), but I personally know five guys who met their Chinese wife or girlfriend at a Chinese restaurant in the local strip mall. If you’re even the slightest bit charming, it’s a valid possibility! However, let me say this: it’s really important to how to tell if a Chinese woman likes you (so you don’t make a giant fool of yourself).
- Hang out at any major university on the West Coast. US universities are highly desirable for Chinese students, and it won’t be difficult to meet Chinese women at any of them. Especially here in Southern California.
- Create an account over at eHarmony. Because of the fact that Chinese women like American men, there are a lot of them who actively hang out there. You’ll find that most will be already living in the United States, but there are a large number of women living in China who use eHarmony to find an American man.