For white guys looking to meet Japanese women, one of the best resources on the internet at the moment is japancupid.com. “At the moment” is probably the wrong choice of wording since it’s been around for a very long time and it was one of the first Asian dating sites I used starting way back in 2005. It’s so good, in fact, that I ended up marrying a woman I met there in 2009.
My personal experience with JapanCupid ended in 2009 obviously, but I have a handful of friends (both male and female) who use the site today and can back me up in my claim about it still being one of the best sources for Japanese-Western relationships out there today. Many Japanese women do like white guys, so if you’re a guy who’s been curious about dating in Asia, this is one of the first places you should start.
Like all online dating sites, there are some good and bad things about JapanCupid. Here then, based on my own personal experience and the experiences of people I know, are the good and bad points about this highly active Japanese dating site:
The good things about JapanCupid
- The member database is huge. This is a highly popular dating site for men and women all over the world.
- The site is simple and easy to use. It’s easy to check messages, browse new listings, and add favorites. Notifications are a big plus too.
- I like the fact that it covers a very specific dating niche. Single white people people looking for single Japanese people (and vise versa), and everyone is there for the same reason.
- It’s not necessarily a “hookup” site – in my experience, 99% of the women I met there were interested in long term relationships, which was exactly what I was looking for. This might seem like a negative to a lot of guys, but if you’re someone a bit older like me, you’ll likely see this as a plus.
- I met my wife there. If that’s not proof enough that JapanCupid.com works, I don’t know what is.
The bad things about JapanCupid
- There are a high number of “fake” accounts. This is purely speculation on my part, but I found that when things got slow (nobody was contacting me), I would get random “hello’s” from amazingly beautiful young Japanese women who would normally never be interested in a guy like me. None of them wrote back after I responded, so after a while I concluded that these were fake accounts generated by JapanCupid themselves to keep people (men) coming back to the site. All of my friends who still use this site today confirm it’s still happening.
- Competition is fierce if you’re a guy. There are a LOT more men on the site than women, but honestly, that’s to be expected of any dating website.
In concludsion, the good far outweigh the bad. It’s no the perfect dating website by any means, but that’s to be expected when it comes to online dating. You need to act with caution just as you would in real life, and if you’re careful about it, you may just find the love of your life in Japan.